Meaning of no in Japanese
Definition of no
- (prt) indicates possessive →Related words: 乃
- nominalizes verbs and adjectives
- substitutes for "ga" in subordinate phrases →Related words: が
- (at sentence-end, falling tone) indicates a confident conclusion
- (at sentence-end) indicates emotional emphasis
- (at sentence-end, rising tone) indicates question
Words related to no
- (n) the harmonizing, mentally and physically, of two parties engaged in an activity
(exp) wrong; not good; of no use
"I've a touch of a cold." "That's too bad."
- hopeless; past hope
- must not do
(n) wind; gas; fart
The old lady is bound to fart.
- something worthless; something not worth considering
(n) bill; note (currency)
Please change this bill into coins.
(n) countryside people (in town); visitor from the country; out-of-towner; country bumpkin (visiting the big city); yokel
Calm down a little, Kissho, your bumpkin nature is standing out!
(n) wanted man; person sought by the police
He is wanted by the police.
- (exp) thank you; many thanks; much appreciated
- that's enough for today
(adj-i) no match for
I'm no match for you.
Time hangs heavy on my hands.
unable; can't do; beyond one's power
When it comes to cooking, no one can equal Mary.
(exp) while it may be true that; just because; nevertheless; not necessarily
Two wrongs don't make a right.
- (n) Cape jasmine (Gardenia jasminoides); Cape jessamine; gardenia
(adj-i) nonchalant; unconcerned; in a casual manner
She took a casual glance at her watch.
- (adv, adv-to, vs) feeling refreshed; feeling fine; feeling clear-headed →Related words: さっぱり
- shapely; neatly; refinedly
- cleanly; without trouble
- clearly; plainly; distinctly →Related words: はっきり
- completely; thoroughly →Related words: すっかり
- not at all (with negative sentence); not even slightly →Related words: さっぱり
(conj) and; and then; thus; and now
And walked to the man's house.
(adj-pn) that (something or someone distant from the speaker, close to the listener; actions of the listener, or ideas expressed or understood by the listener); the
Every day I waited for her at the bookstore after school.
- (int) um...; er...; uh...
(exp) hence; for that reason
For that reason, temporary workers are working under inferior conditions.
(conj) in addition; furthermore
This book is interesting and, what is more, very instructive.
above (which); on top of (which)
I paid five dollars in addition.
(n) each time it happens; at all such times
Please keep me informed.
(adv) before very long; soon; eventually; sooner or later; of the previously mentioned
Hope we can work together soon.
(n-t) that much; as much; to that extent; only that; that alone; no more than that; that is all (when finished speaking)
The higher up, the greater fall.
- (n) bitterling (any fish of subfamily Acheilognathinae, esp. species Acheilognathus melanogaster)
(conj) while it may be true that; just because; nevertheless; not necessarily
Not that I have any objection.
(adv) not at all (neg. verb)
I have not seen anything of Elizabeth lately.
- (adv) just (now)
- quite (near)
- unintentionally; unconsciously; by mistake; against one's better judgement (judgment)
- (v1) to connect; to join; to join or tie or knot together
(v5r) to have much trouble; to have a hard time; to not know how to handle
I had some trouble with the work.
- (exp) (something) has become possible; (something) is now possible
(adv) very; awfully; exceedingly
"This looks pretty interesting," Hiroshi says.
(before a negative form) (not) at all; by no means; simply (cannot)
Going out in this rain is out of the question.
- (exp) the grass is always greener on the other side
(adj-i) unthinkable; unexpected; outrageous; offensive
It isn't true that Jack is no good at music; on the contrary, he plays the piano well.
(exp) absolutely not!; not at all!; far from it!; impossible!; preposterous!; what a thing to say!; no way!; bullshit
"Have you finished it?" "On the contrary, I've just begun."
- don't mention it; you're welcome
- (int) thanks →Related words: どうも有難う
- (adv) much (thanks); very (sorry); quite (regret)
- quite; really
- in spite of oneself; no matter how hard one may try (one is unable to) (with negative verb); no matter how hard one may try not to (one ends up doing) (with positive verb, esp. -shimau) →Related words: どうしても
- (int) greetings; hello; goodbye
(int) you are welcome; don't mention it; not at all; my pleasure
"Thank you for your help." "It's my pleasure."
(exp) no more than; just; only; mere; goes no further than
She was merely stating a fact.
- (prt) although; when; and yet; despite this; in spite of; even though; but even so; but even then; however; nevertheless; for all that; notwithstanding that
- if only; I wish
- I tell you; you should do
- in order to
- (adv) like; similar to
as with; in the same way
He made me out to be a liar.
(exp) on the shores of; by the side of (e.g. rivers, ponds)
Paris, which is on the Seine, is a beautiful city.
in the neighborhood of; in the neighbourhood of; in the vicinity of; close by; near; by
His house is somewhere about Fourth Street.