Meaning of fire in Japanese
Definition of fire
(n) flames; blaze; fire
The rain kept the fire from spreading.
(n) fire; conflagration
In the case of fire, dial 119.
Words related to fire
- (n) campfire (usually large, and for gathering and singing, etc. around)
(n) sunken hearth; sunken fireplace
We sat round the fire.
- (n) newt (esp. the Japanese fire belly newt, Cynops pyrrhogaster)
- (n) smoke and fumes (e.g. from cooking)
- beacon; skyrocket; signal fire
- (n) kiseru; Japanese smoking pipe
- fire tube (of a fire-tube boiler)
(n) distant fire; fire at some distance (in cooking)
The fish is baked slowly till browned over a not-too-close fire.
(n) heat of fire; trace of fire
They complained of the cold as there was no fire there.
(n) fire insurance
The house is insured against fire.
(n) live coals (for firelighting); remains of fire
Whoops! There aren't many live coals left! Go make some kindling would you?
- (n) fire pan
- first lighting (e.g. furnace); firing (e.g. forest); kindling; igniting
- (n) long metal chopsticks (for handling charcoal, esp. in a brazier); fire tongs
(n) total fire loss; completely burned
Before the fire engine arrived, the whole house was burnt down.
(n) backfire; counterproductive; opposite effect
If you do that, it will only bring about a contrary effect.
- (n) reverse thrust; retrofire (rocket, jet engine)
- sudden mental derangement
(n) firefly (Luciola cruciata); lightning bug; glowworm
There used to be lots of fireflies around here.
(v5s, vi) to shine
He went on walking in the rain without an umbrella.
- to be visible
- to be tinged with
- to rise (of water levels); to flow in
- to be felt (i.e. as an emotion); to come over one →Related words: 気が差す , 魔が差す
- (v5s, vt) to hold up (an umbrella, etc.); to put up; to raise
- to extend one's arm straight ahead (in dance) →Related words: 指す
- to insert; to put in →Related words: 挿す
- to wear (a sword) in one's belt; to wear at one's side; to carry under one's arm →Related words: 挿す
- (sumo) to insert one's arm under an opponent's arm
- to pole (a boat) →Related words: 刺す
- to pour; to add (liquid); to serve (drinks) →Related words: 注す
- to put on (lipstick, etc.); to apply; to colour; to dye
- to light (a fire); to burn
- to shut; to close; to lock; to fasten →Related words: 鎖す
- (suf, v5s) to stop in the midst of; to leave undone →Related words: 止す
(n) forest fire (on a mountain); wildfire; bushfire
There are a great many forest fires in America.
(v5s, vt) to take out; to get out
You can withdraw some money out of the bank, if you need any.
to put out; to reveal; to show
I want to remain anonymous in this.
to submit (e.g. thesis); to turn in
Read over your paper before you hand it in.
to publish; to make public
We'll release the final agenda on the morning of Monday, January 20, so please reply quickly.
to send (e.g. letter)
Sending manuscript after manuscript paid off. A magazine finally published my work.
to produce (a sound); to start (fire)
The Government issued the following statement.
to serve (food)
They serve excellent food here.
(suf) to begin
How long have you had this pain?
(n) fire fighting; fire department
He says firefighting is a feast or famine job.
(n) fireman; firefighter
My dream is to be a fire fighter.
Five fire engines rushed to the scene of the fire.
(v1, vt) to raise; to elevate
If you have a question, please raise your right hand.
to do up (one's hair)
I also prefer it with the hair worn up.
to fly (a kite, etc.); to launch (fireworks, etc.); to surface (a submarine, etc.)
The fireworks were set off on all sides.
- to land (a boat)
- to deep-fry
- to show someone (into a room)
- (uk) to summon (for geishas, etc.)
- to send someone (away)
- to enrol (one's child in school); to enroll
to increase (price, quality, status, etc.)
The store raised all the prices.
to make (a loud sound); to raise (one's voice)
He cried out and ran away.
to earn (something desirable)
He got wonderful results.
- to praise
to give (an example, etc.); to cite
Reporter: Can you give me an example?
to summon up (all of one's energy, etc.)
Fight with all your might.
- to arrest
I put Paul's name forward as a possible candidate.
- to give
- to offer up (incense, a prayer, etc.) to the gods (or Buddha, etc.)
- to bear (a child)
to conduct (a ceremony, esp. a wedding)
I held a wedding ceremony last month.
- (v1, vi) (of the tide) to come in
- (v1, vi, vt) to vomit
- (aux-v, v1) to do for (the sake of someone else)
- (suf, v1) to complete ... →Related words: 作り上げる
- to humbly do ... →Related words: 申し上げる
- (n) firewood; kindling; fuel
piece(s) of firewood
Put some more wood on the fire.
- (n) ceremonial bonfire (seeing off the spirits on the final night of O-Bon)
- (n) earthquakes, thunder, fires, fathers (this proverb compares the traditional Japanese father with other things which are generally feared)
(exp) many irons in the fire; engaged in two trades at the same time; wearing two hats
He tried to play two roles at the same time and failed.
(vs-s) to fire (a gun); to emit; to give forth
The rose gives off a sweet odor.