Meaning of to in Japanese
Definition of to
- (n, conj) opposite; opposition
There is going to be a game between Waseda and Keio today.
to (i.e. "we won the game five to three")
We won the game by three goals to one.
- equal footing; equal terms
against ...; anti-; toward ...; to ...
The company's exports to India amounted to $100 million last year.
(prt) until (a time); till; to; up to
See that dinner is ready by ten.
- to (a place); as far as
- to (an extent); up to; so far as; even
- only; merely
- (n) 7th in a sequence denoted by the iroha system; 7th note in the diatonic scale (used in key names, etc.)
- (exp) till; to; over (a period); through (e.g. Monday through Thursday); about (approx. time or place); on
- concerning (an area of expertise)
- to swear by (one's sword, God, etc.)
Words related to to
(exp) just like that; in the twinkling of an eye; in the blink of an eye; in the time it takes to say "ah!"
The holiday ended all too soon.
(n) that (indicating something distant from both speaker and listener (in space, time or psychologically), or something understood without naming it directly)
That is the main street of this city.
that person (used to refer to one's equals or inferiors)
Yeah, she must be the sure thing!
My ex-boyfriend was brought up in Portugal.
down there (i.e. one's genitals)
Down there hurts, down there. Er, what do you call them? Testicles? In any case a male's 'important parts'.
- period; menses
(int) hey (expression of surprise or suspicion); eh?
"Eh? Where's Keiko?" "Said she's got a parent and child meeting so she'll be late."
- (n) that (something mentioned before which is distant psychologically or in terms of time)
(v5s) to tinker with; to fumble with; to twist up
Please stop playing with your hat.
(adv) very easily
He's mowed down a parade of challengers before.
- (n) pot
- typical name for a female servant in the Edo-period
- working at night
- female with symptoms of gender identity disorder (i.e. a transvestite)
(n) guest; visitor; customer
I think we're out of your size.
(n) Shinto shrine
There used to be a small shrine around here.
(n) wet towel (supplied at table); hot, moistened hand towel
Do you have hot towels?
- (exp) excuse me for disturbing (interrupting) you
- greeting used on going to someone's home
(n) toilet; restroom; lavatory; bathroom
Where's the restroom?
(n) countryside people (in town); visitor from the country; out-of-towner; country bumpkin (visiting the big city); yokel
Calm down a little, Kissho, your bumpkin nature is standing out!
(n) bottom; buttocks
It's as smooth as a baby's bottom.
- (exp) thank you; many thanks; much appreciated
- that's enough for today
No, thank you. I've had enough.
(v1) to affect a stylish air; to try to look good; to show off
He's a big show-off when girls are around.
- (prt) from (e.g. time, place, numerical quantity); since
- from (originator)
- out of (constituent, part)
- through (e.g. window, vestibule)
- after; since (following te-form verb)
(exp) while it may be true that; just because; nevertheless; not necessarily
Two wrongs don't make a right.
- (v1) to attach; to stick together; to paste; to glue
- to place together; to put side-by-side
- to make someone get married; to get someone hitched
(n) this way (direction close to the speaker or towards the speaker); this direction
Look at the boy and his dog that are coming this way.
here (place close to the speaker or where the speaker is)
Could you pass me the salt, please?
this one (something physically close to the speaker)
This costs more than that.
(pn, adj-no) I; me; we; us
This is Aya, this is Aya. Please respond.
this person (someone physically close to the speaker and of equal or higher status)
Aunt, this is Tom.
(adv) altogether; entirely
Tom has always made good in every work he has had.
(n) hitherto; so far
So far I have been getting along well with my friends.
(adv) quickly (esp. actions)
A glorious sight burst on our view.
- suddenly (esp. wind, rain, etc.)
(v5k) to set aside
Joking aside, how are things going?
(v5k) to sob; to weep
I found that there was a little girl sobbing.