Meaning of suru in Japanese
Definition of suru
- (vs-i) to do
- to cause to become; to make (into); to turn (into)
- to serve as; to act as; to work as
- to wear (clothes, a facial expression, etc.)
- to judge as being; to view as being; to think of as; to treat as; to use as
- to decide on; to choose
- (vs-i, vi) to be sensed (of a smell, noise, etc.)
- to be (in a state, condition, etc.)
- to be worth; to cost
- to pass (of time); to elapse
- (suf, vs-i) verbalizing suffix (applies to nouns noted in this dictionary with the part of speech "vs")
- (aux-v, vs-i) creates a humble verb (after a noun prefixed with "o" or "go") →Related words: お願いします , 御
- to be just about to; to be just starting to; to try to; to attempt to →Related words: とする
Words related to suru
(exp) should do (abbr. of suru+beki); ought to do
I don't know what to do.
(exp) related to; in relation to
She wrote a book about animals.
- (adj-i) sharp (blade); pointed
- sharp (pain); stabbing; cutting (remark); stinging; pointed (question or look); screeching (noise)
- perceptive; keen; quick (mind); astute; shrewd; discerning
- nimble; agile; quick
(vs-s) to inflict; to impose (a fine, etc.)
Will the judge fine him heavily?
(vs-s) to concern; to be related
That is no business of yours.
(v5r, vi) to leave; to go away
In 1900, he left England, and he never returned.
to pass; to elapse
The good old days have gone, never to return.
- to be distant
- (v5r, vt) to send away; to drive off; to divorce
- (suf, v5r) (after a -masu stem, esp. of a suru verb) ... completely
(adj-pn) last ... (e.g. "last April")
My sister married a high school teacher last June.
(vs-s) to yield; to give in; to be daunted
Do not give in to those demands.
- to bend; to shrink
- to feel down
(vs-s) to decide; to determine
I haven't decided either way. I want to keep an eye on how things go.
(n) sword (originally esp. a doubled-edged sword); sabre; saber; blade
All who take up the sword will perish by the sword.
- stinger; ovipositor; dart
- (vs-s) to join together; to sum up; to combine; to unite; to mix; to agree with
- (vs-s) to thank
- to apologize; to apologise
- to say farewell; to retreat; to retire
- to refuse
- to pay back; to settle old scores
(vs-s) to come in contact with; to touch; to connect (with)
Like other changes, this change in attitude has occurred in other countries, too.
to attend (to)
You must treat them with more consideration.
- to receive (visitors)
(v5r, vt) to manipulate; to operate; to handle; to operate (e.g. a machine); to steer (a ship)
That interpreter is a master of five languages.
- to have a good command of (a language); to be fluent in
- to operate a puppet; to pull the strings of a puppet
- to mastermind; to pull the strings; to control from the shadows
- to play (a musical instrument)
(vs-s) to reach; to get to
The water came up to his waist.
(vs-s) to escape from; to get out
The company stopped losing money.
- (n) hung up; hoist
denounced; severely criticised; kangaroo court
I was tried in a kangaroo court.
(n) crane (any bird of the family Gruidae, esp. the red-crowned crane, Grus japonensis)
Cranes are big beautiful birds.
(vs-s) to heat; to heat up
Water changes into vapor when it is heated.
(vs-s) to fire (a gun); to emit; to give forth
The rose gives off a sweet odor.
(vs-s) to punish; to penalize; to penalise
What are you punishing them for?