Meaning of ne in Japanese
Definition of ne
(n) root (of a plant)
They are all good men at heart.
- root (of a tooth, hair, etc.); center (of a pimple, etc.)
- root root (of all evil, etc.); source; origin; cause; basis
- one's true nature
- (fishing) reef
We accustomed our children to sleeping alone.
Words related to ne
- (n) Japanese andromeda (Pieris japonica); lily-of-the-valley
(pn, adj-no) there (place physically distant from both speaker and listener); over there; that place; yonder
A form appeared from over there.
If you just crouch a little, her crotch can just be seen flicking in and out of sight.
- that far (something psychologically distant from both speaker and listener); that much; that point →Related words: あれほど
(n) that (indicating something distant from both speaker and listener (in space, time or psychologically), or something understood without naming it directly)
That is the main street of this city.
that person (used to refer to one's equals or inferiors)
Yeah, she must be the sure thing!
My ex-boyfriend was brought up in Portugal.
down there (i.e. one's genitals)
Down there hurts, down there. Er, what do you call them? Testicles? In any case a male's 'important parts'.
- period; menses
(int) hey (expression of surprise or suspicion); eh?
"Eh? Where's Keiko?" "Said she's got a parent and child meeting so she'll be late."
- (n) that (something mentioned before which is distant psychologically or in terms of time)
(n) Shinto shrine
There used to be a small shrine around here.
(n) wet towel (supplied at table); hot, moistened hand towel
Do you have hot towels?
(n) (someone else's) child
How many children do you have?
(n) child (someone else's)
Say pretty things about a person's children.
- (exp) excuse me for disturbing (interrupting) you
- greeting used on going to someone's home
- (n) making arbitrary decisions which benefit oneself; self-approved plan
(n) countryside people (in town); visitor from the country; out-of-towner; country bumpkin (visiting the big city); yokel
Calm down a little, Kissho, your bumpkin nature is standing out!
(n) wanted man; person sought by the police
He is wanted by the police.
(n) one's mother
Don't talk about it in my mother's presence.
- (prt) I wonder (sentence ending prt)
- should I? (question prt when thinking out loud); is it?
- I wish that (with a negative); I hope that
(adj-i) no match for
I'm no match for you.
Time hangs heavy on my hands.
unable; can't do; beyond one's power
When it comes to cooking, no one can equal Mary.
(n) (one's) wife
My wife used to be a pro-wrestler, so if she ever catches me two-timing her, I'd be beaten to a pulp.
- (someone's) wife
(exp) while it may be true that; just because; nevertheless; not necessarily
Two wrongs don't make a right.
(n) strained back; slipped disk; lumbosacral strain
I have a strained back.
- (n) Cape jasmine (Gardenia jasminoides); Cape jessamine; gardenia
- (v1) to attach; to stick together; to paste; to glue
- to place together; to put side-by-side
- to make someone get married; to get someone hitched
- (n) obsession; fixation; hangup
- determination; fastidiousness; pickiness about (trait, style, etc.)
(n) this way (direction close to the speaker or towards the speaker); this direction
Look at the boy and his dog that are coming this way.
here (place close to the speaker or where the speaker is)
Could you pass me the salt, please?
this one (something physically close to the speaker)
This costs more than that.
(pn, adj-no) I; me; we; us
This is Aya, this is Aya. Please respond.
this person (someone physically close to the speaker and of equal or higher status)
Aunt, this is Tom.
(exp) don't worry; never mind
Don't have any worries on my account.
(adj-i) nonchalant; unconcerned; in a casual manner
She took a casual glance at her watch.
- (adv, adv-to, vs) feeling refreshed; feeling fine; feeling clear-headed →Related words: さっぱり
- shapely; neatly; refinedly
- cleanly; without trouble
- clearly; plainly; distinctly →Related words: はっきり
- completely; thoroughly →Related words: すっかり
- not at all (with negative sentence); not even slightly →Related words: さっぱり
(pn, adj-no) that way (direction distant from the speaker, close to the listener)
Isn't this Central Driving School?
there (place distant from the speaker, close to the listener)
How are things for you up there?
that one (something close to the listener)
What is the difference between this and that?
you; your family
We will accept your conditions.
- that person (someone close to the listener)
(adj-pn) that (something or someone distant from the speaker, close to the listener; actions of the listener, or ideas expressed or understood by the listener); the
Every day I waited for her at the bookstore after school.
- (int) um...; er...; uh...
(adv) before very long; soon; eventually; sooner or later; of the previously mentioned
Hope we can work together soon.
(n) that (indicating an item or person near the listener, the action of the listener, or something on their mind); it
Should that happen, what will you do?
that time; then
That was when I was in the first year at high school, so 17 years have passed since then.
- there (indicating a place near the listener)
(n-t) that much; as much; to that extent; only that; that alone; no more than that; that is all (when finished speaking)
The higher up, the greater fall.
(n) those (near the second person)
Their sizes are much the same.
(adv) each time; every time; whenever (something happens); on the occasion of
Every time I go there, I meet her.
(conj) while it may be true that; just because; nevertheless; not necessarily
Not that I have any objection.
- (n-suf) implying (negatively) that something is full of (e.g. mistakes)
- covered all over (e.g. with blood)
(adj-i) slovenly; loose; sluttish; slatternly; untidy; undisciplined; careless
He has led a loose life since then.
(adv) not at all (neg. verb)
I have not seen anything of Elizabeth lately.
(n-suf) keep ...-ing (negative nuance, with the state being improper, unpleasant, etc.); have been ...-ing; leaving (something) on; leaving (something) still in use
Don't leave the water running.
- (adv) just (now)
- quite (near)
- unintentionally; unconsciously; by mistake; against one's better judgement (judgment)
- (v1) to connect; to join; to join or tie or knot together