Meaning of na in Japanese
Definition of na
- (prt) (sentence end, mainly masc.) indicates emotion or emphasis
- (used with masu stem verb) command
- (used with dictionary form verb) prohibition
Words related to na
(n) that (indicating something distant from both speaker and listener (in space, time or psychologically), or something understood without naming it directly)
That is the main street of this city.
that person (used to refer to one's equals or inferiors)
Yeah, she must be the sure thing!
My ex-boyfriend was brought up in Portugal.
down there (i.e. one's genitals)
Down there hurts, down there. Er, what do you call them? Testicles? In any case a male's 'important parts'.
- period; menses
(int) hey (expression of surprise or suspicion); eh?
"Eh? Where's Keiko?" "Said she's got a parent and child meeting so she'll be late."
- (n) that (something mentioned before which is distant psychologically or in terms of time)
(exp) wrong; not good; of no use
"I've a touch of a cold." "That's too bad."
- hopeless; past hope
- must not do
(adj-na) gallant; dashing; smart
Now that you mention it, I remember he was a dashing man. I wonder how he's doing?
- (n) pot
- typical name for a female servant in the Edo-period
- working at night
- female with symptoms of gender identity disorder (i.e. a transvestite)
(n) wind; gas; fart
The old lady is bound to fart.
- something worthless; something not worth considering
(int) welcome home
"I'm back." "Welcome home."
(exp) good night
He said good night to his parents.
(exp) please don't fuss over me
Please don't go out of your way on my account.
No, thank you. I've had enough.
- (prt) I wonder (sentence ending prt)
- should I? (question prt when thinking out loud); is it?
- I wish that (with a negative); I hope that
(adj-i) no match for
I'm no match for you.
Time hangs heavy on my hands.
unable; can't do; beyond one's power
When it comes to cooking, no one can equal Mary.
(exp) may; might; perhaps; may be; possibly
You could be right, I suppose.
- (prt) from (e.g. time, place, numerical quantity); since
- from (originator)
- out of (constituent, part)
- through (e.g. window, vestibule)
- after; since (following te-form verb)
- (n) Cape jasmine (Gardenia jasminoides); Cape jessamine; gardenia
- (n) obsession; fixation; hangup
- determination; fastidiousness; pickiness about (trait, style, etc.)
(exp) don't worry; never mind
Don't have any worries on my account.
(adj-i) nonchalant; unconcerned; in a casual manner
She took a casual glance at her watch.
(v5k) to sob; to weep
I found that there was a little girl sobbing.
- (adj-i) insistent; obstinate; persistent; tenacious
- too rich (taste, etc.); fatty; heavy; greasy
- (n) restive horse
- unmanageable person (esp. a woman); shrew; stubborn tomboy
(pn, adj-no) that way (direction distant from the speaker, close to the listener)
Isn't this Central Driving School?
there (place distant from the speaker, close to the listener)
How are things for you up there?
that one (something close to the listener)
What is the difference between this and that?
you; your family
We will accept your conditions.
- that person (someone close to the listener)
(conj) in the first place; to begin with; from the start; originally; ab initio
In the first place, why do the birds migrate at all?
- (n) bitterling (any fish of subfamily Acheilognathinae, esp. species Acheilognathus melanogaster)
(adj-i) slovenly; loose; sluttish; slatternly; untidy; undisciplined; careless
He has led a loose life since then.
(v5r) to jingle; to tinkle; to whistle (kettle)
The kettle is whistling on the stove.
- (adv) just (now)
- quite (near)
- unintentionally; unconsciously; by mistake; against one's better judgement (judgment)
- (v1) to connect; to join; to join or tie or knot together
(adj-i) dull; uninteresting; boring; tedious
That new movie was a bummer.
insignificant; unimportant; trifling; trivial; worthless
He often uses the slightest thing as a pretext for a fight with anybody.
- absurd; foolish; silly
- useless; pointless; disappointing
- (exp) (something) has become possible; (something) is now possible
(adj-i) extravagant; absurd; unbelievable; preposterous; unreasonable
The earthquake created a tremendous sea wave.
- (exp) the grass is always greener on the other side
(adj-i) unthinkable; unexpected; outrageous; offensive
It isn't true that Jack is no good at music; on the contrary, he plays the piano well.
(exp) absolutely not!; not at all!; far from it!; impossible!; preposterous!; what a thing to say!; no way!; bullshit
"Have you finished it?" "On the contrary, I've just begun."
- don't mention it; you're welcome
- (int) thanks →Related words: どうも有難う
- (adv) much (thanks); very (sorry); quite (regret)
- quite; really
- in spite of oneself; no matter how hard one may try (one is unable to) (with negative verb); no matter how hard one may try not to (one ends up doing) (with positive verb, esp. -shimau) →Related words: どうしても
- (int) greetings; hello; goodbye
Brace yourselves! From today I'm learning the piano. Why? Because I want to become a music teacher!
(conj) because; for; the reason why is ...
The meeting was put off because John was sick.
(exp) no more than; just; only; mere; goes no further than
She was merely stating a fact.
- (n) purse snatching; handbag snatching; purse snatcher; handbag snatcher