Meaning of de in Japanese
Definition of de
- (n, n-suf) coming out; going out; outflow; efflux; rising (of the sun or moon)
- attending (work); appearing (on stage); one's turn to go on
- start; beginning
- origins; background; person (or item) originating from ...; graduate of ...; native of ...; member of ... (lineage)
- architectural member that projects outward
- highest point of the stern of a ship
- amount (comprising something); amount of time or effort required to do something
Words related to de
(adj-na) obvious; clear; plain; evident; apparent; explicit; overt
Frankly, I don't like him.
(pn, adj-no) there (place physically distant from both speaker and listener); over there; that place; yonder
A form appeared from over there.
If you just crouch a little, her crotch can just be seen flicking in and out of sight.
- that far (something psychologically distant from both speaker and listener); that much; that point →Related words: あれほど
(n) that (indicating something distant from both speaker and listener (in space, time or psychologically), or something understood without naming it directly)
That is the main street of this city.
that person (used to refer to one's equals or inferiors)
Yeah, she must be the sure thing!
My ex-boyfriend was brought up in Portugal.
down there (i.e. one's genitals)
Down there hurts, down there. Er, what do you call them? Testicles? In any case a male's 'important parts'.
- period; menses
(int) hey (expression of surprise or suspicion); eh?
"Eh? Where's Keiko?" "Said she's got a parent and child meeting so she'll be late."
- (n) that (something mentioned before which is distant psychologically or in terms of time)
(adj-i) suspicious; dubious; unreliable
Students are expected to stay away from dubious places.
- indecent; unseemly
- (n) pot
- typical name for a female servant in the Edo-period
- working at night
- female with symptoms of gender identity disorder (i.e. a transvestite)
(n) wind; gas; fart
The old lady is bound to fart.
- something worthless; something not worth considering
- (n) familiar form of "older brother"
form of address for young adult male; mister
Mummy, that man just fell flat on his face!
- (n) making arbitrary decisions which benefit oneself; self-approved plan
(n) countryside people (in town); visitor from the country; out-of-towner; country bumpkin (visiting the big city); yokel
Calm down a little, Kissho, your bumpkin nature is standing out!
(n) O-Bon; Bon Festival; Lantern Festival; Festival of the Dead
The Bon Festival is near at hand.
- (prt) I wonder (sentence ending prt)
- should I? (question prt when thinking out loud); is it?
- I wish that (with a negative); I hope that
- (n) Cape jasmine (Gardenia jasminoides); Cape jessamine; gardenia
- (v1) to attach; to stick together; to paste; to glue
- to place together; to put side-by-side
- to make someone get married; to get someone hitched
- (n) obsession; fixation; hangup
- determination; fastidiousness; pickiness about (trait, style, etc.)
(n) hitherto; so far
So far I have been getting along well with my friends.
- (exp) That was a delicious meal (said after meals); What a wonderful meal
(adv) quickly (esp. actions)
A glorious sight burst on our view.
- suddenly (esp. wind, rain, etc.)
(v5k) to set aside
Joking aside, how are things going?
- (adv, adv-to, vs) feeling refreshed; feeling fine; feeling clear-headed →Related words: さっぱり
- shapely; neatly; refinedly
- cleanly; without trouble
- clearly; plainly; distinctly →Related words: はっきり
- completely; thoroughly →Related words: すっかり
- not at all (with negative sentence); not even slightly →Related words: さっぱり
- (adj-i) petty; small-minded; stingy; cheap (as in cheap shot, cheating, skirting the rules, etc.)
- (int) that is so; that is right; it looks to me; I am of the impression
- people say that (after plain verb, adj); it is said that; I hear that
(adj-pn) that (something or someone distant from the speaker, close to the listener; actions of the listener, or ideas expressed or understood by the listener); the
Every day I waited for her at the bookstore after school.
- (int) um...; er...; uh...
(conj) and; thereupon; because of that
That leaves no room for doubt.
(conj) besides; moreover
And, we get each other's company to boot.
(adv) to that degree; extent
No, the traffic wasn't too bad.
(v5r) to take something away by deception
I'd been cheated out of my life savings!
(adv) incidentally; taking the opportunity; while (you) are at it; on the occasion
Can you buy one for me as well?
(n) azalea; Rhododendron spp.
Several gardeners look after the azaleas in the park.
- (exp) (something) has become possible; (something) is now possible
(conj) even so; however; still; whereupon; even though; nevertheless; on the contrary; as a matter of fact; despite
As it is, I can do nothing.
- (exp) the grass is always greener on the other side
(adj-i) unthinkable; unexpected; outrageous; offensive
It isn't true that Jack is no good at music; on the contrary, he plays the piano well.
(exp) absolutely not!; not at all!; far from it!; impossible!; preposterous!; what a thing to say!; no way!; bullshit
"Have you finished it?" "On the contrary, I've just begun."
- don't mention it; you're welcome