Meaning of 彼 in Japanese
Definition of 彼
(n) that (indicating something distant from both speaker and listener (in space, time or psychologically), or something understood without naming it directly)
That is the main street of this city.
that person (used to refer to one's equals or inferiors)
Yeah, she must be the sure thing!
My ex-boyfriend was brought up in Portugal.
down there (i.e. one's genitals)
Down there hurts, down there. Er, what do you call them? Testicles? In any case a male's 'important parts'.
- period; menses
(int) hey (expression of surprise or suspicion); eh?
"Eh? Where's Keiko?" "Said she's got a parent and child meeting so she'll be late."
- (n) that (something mentioned before which is distant psychologically or in terms of time)
Words related to 彼
(pn, adj-no) there (place physically distant from both speaker and listener); over there; that place; yonder
A form appeared from over there.
If you just crouch a little, her crotch can just be seen flicking in and out of sight.
- that far (something psychologically distant from both speaker and listener); that much; that point →Related words: あれほど
(adv) something or other; one thing or another; this or that
He delayed payment on some pretext or other.
(exp) something or other
Somehow you must find a way to finish this work in one month.
(adv) one way or another
I am inconvenienced when my wife is away.
- (pn, adj-no) that way (direction distant from both speaker and listener); over there; yonder →Related words: 何方 , 此方 , 其方
- that one (something physically distant from both speaker and listener, or something not visible but known by both speaker and listener); that
- (pn) that person (someone physically distant from both speaker and listener, or someone not present but known by both speaker and listener)
- there (place distant from both speaker and listener); over there; foreign country (esp. a Western nation)
(adj-no) faraway; far-off
It happened that I saw my friend walking in the distance.
- (n) self and others; this and that; both sides; oneself and one's opponent; he and I
(exp) this and that
We sat speaking this and that.
- (exp) anything and everything; all sorts of things; by all means
(exp) all over
Everywhere seems to be crowded.
(n) everyone; one and all
Everybody was anxious to know what had happened.
(exp) leaving everything to Buddha's providence; depending on others; leaving things to others
Instead of leaving it to others, take responsibility yourself.
(n) himself; he himself
The story is based on his own experience.
- (exp) No heat or cold lasts over the equinox
- (exp) If you know your enemy and know yourself, in a hundred battles you will never be defeated.
- (exp) a day in life is better than a thousand days in the afterlife; better one day in this world than a thousand in the next