Definition of うえ
(n) hunger; starvation
Thousands of people died of hunger.
(n, adj-no, n-adv, n-suf) above; up; over; elder (e.g. daughter)
It's in the overhead compartment.
You may be able to read the handwriting on the wall, but it is Greek to me.
Are there any pens on the desk?
- before; previous
- superiority; one's superior (i.e. one's elder)
on top of that; besides; what's more
It was cold, and, in addition, it was windy.
- upon (further inspection, etc.); based on (and occurring after)
- matters concerning...; as concerns ...
- since (i.e. "for that reason")
- (n-suf) suffix indicating higher social standing
- place of one's superior (i.e. the throne)
- emperor; sovereign; shogun; daimyo
- noblewoman (esp. the wife of a nobleman)